YouTube testing different versions of the same video? - Video A/B Testing on YouTube

  • Anyone saw this? I heard not only is there thumbnail and title A/B testing, coming soon is VIDEO A/B testing so we can upload different edits and lengths of the same video and test its performance. I dont know what to make of it this to be honest. Its even more work for us as creators but if it helps us grow then could be beneficial. Imagine the video has a 1 min condensed version, an hour long version and a standard 15 mins one.

    Would you actually use this? What are your thoughts? Is it too much?

  • Honestly I don't like it one bit, my thoughts are pretty much the same as Marques Brownlee

    External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • Honestly I don't like it one bit, my thoughts are pretty much the same as Marques Brownlee

    External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    That is a point lol its so strange. Like someone can be served the 1 min version while someone gets the full version, also wonder if the video is shared. Say I sent you someones video, you may see an entirely different video to me. I feel releasing one version is already enough for myself. Trialling versions feels like extra work and I am already extra worked haha

  • It will be interesting to see how they implement it, I just cant see most creators wanting all the extra work of editing 3 potential versions, its like each is auditioning for performance. Who knows, maybe in a year ill be thinking it is the best thing theyve ever done. My experience with AB titles and thumbnails hasnt been great, the video I used them on completely flopped compared to my normal videos, the video I would have expected to perform similarly but the views were significantly lower.

    The thumbnail generation thing too, im not sure how I feel about that. Sure AI can be useful and could improve some really crappy thumbnails but hopefully we wont end up with swathes of this style:


    Credit to

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Sign up now to post your own questions and be a part of our creator community!